Saturday, November 1, 2014

House of Cards: November Sketch Challenge


Hi, friends!  I'm back with a card for the newest monthly challenge over at House of Cards.  This month, we have a sketch for your crafting pleasure...take a look at it...


We love seeing your creativity with these sketches!  Remember, you can use any shape for the pieces, flip the sketch, etc. as long as we can see a portion of the original sketch in your creation.  I've kept the layout in the same position, but I lengthened the portion for my sentiment.  Come and take a peek...


I started by creating the focal image.  I used oval dies, glitter paper, punches, dry embossing, and some pearls to create a faux quilted look.  I've created a video to show how to create this effect.  You can find it on my YouTube channel HERE.


I added this panel to the main panel that includes some reverse dry embossing--meaning I used the "wrong side" to make it look like letterpress/debossing instead of embossing.  I added a border made from the same glitter papers from the focal image and some ribbon. A few pearls were added to tie make things mesh together.



The final step was to add the sentiment.  I used a stamp from Great Impressions found HERE.  I decided to punch this panel like a banner before adding it to the card.  I also decided to use dimensional foam when adding it so it sticks up a bit like the focal image.  It's matted with the same black glitter paper.


That's it, friends!  This card was not too hard to make and the faux quilting is a simple technique.  I hope that you take a bit of time to watch the video and try it out for yourself!  What do you think of the final product?


I can't wait to see what you have in store for use using this sketch, friends!  Make sure to head over to the House of Cards challenge blog to link up with us!  Next month, we will be having our biannual end of term blog hop with LOTS of fabulous prizes, so stay tuned for that, too!  HUGS and happy stamping to you all!

 photo Sigcopy.png

12 comments:

Katy said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! Love that technique too! :)

Judy V said...

Hi Mynn! Love this card! The color combo is so pretty with the embossing and sparkly papers! Hope you have a great weekend!

Judy

Monika Reeck said...

Mynn I have seen the video and love your tutorial but sad I dont have any cuttlebug machine but I enjoy looking your tutorial..Lovely color combo brown and blue looks so nice together and I love the add of the pearl on your card...an elegant season greetings card...Love this dear Mynn..hope you are doing well and see you soon on my DT card post :-)..hugs, Monika

Becky said...

This is beautiful Mynn. Love the design and colors.

Tammy said...

Gorgeous card Mynn! I love these colors together and your 'faux quilting' looks beautiful, fabulous tutorial too!
Big hugs, Tammy

Lisa Elton said...

I like the texture Mynn, very pretty!

Becca Cruger said...

Gorgeous card! I like what you've done with the sketch. I just wanted to say that I really thought your Card Chain Challenge card was lovely! Good job!

KarinsArtScrap said...

elegant and beautiful Mynn
Gr Karin

cohenna said...

Beautiful card Mynn!
I love the color combination

Vannessa said...

This is gorgeous Mynn and I love the colours you used.

Hugs, Vannessa x

Rosmarie said...

Gorgeous card Mynn! Sooo festive and precious in these wintery colors! Many thanks for sharing the tutorial.
Have a very nice weekend
Rosi x

Ruth M said...

Hi there friend! That is a great technique and your video tutorial is fabulous, there really is no end to your talents! I love the colours and the texture on this beautiful card!

I've missed working with your wonderful sketch layouts so I thought it was high time I played along at HOC so I've just linked up! As always, thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!
{{{{hugs}}}} Ruth x